May 22-24, 2015: New.Now.Next Media Conference in Seoul
In its fourth year, N3Con is moving to Seoul!
June 6-8, 2014: New.Now.Next Media Conference in Hong Kong
The third annual N3 Media Conference co-hosted by AAJA-Asia and the Journalism & Media Studies Centre at the University of Hong Kong covered all the big regional topics of the year and included several hands-on workshops for new and veteran journalists.
Among the topics: Tiananmen’s “Tank Man” photo, 25 years later; LGBT reporting; women leaders in journalism; press freedom in Asia; territorial disputes in Asia; disaster reporting; and Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
The conference website, complete with live reporting, photos and video from JMSC students and staff, can be found at n3con.com/2014.
May 24-26, 2013: NewNowNext Media Conference in Hong Kong
Fancy a trip to Hong Kong? Learn cutting-edge media skills and what the big stories are in Asia at the Asia chapter’s third annual conference with the Journalism and Media Studies Centre at The University of Hong Kong.
The date is set! May 24-26. We will post more details as they come, bookmark our conference website.
What is the 2013 NewNowNext Media Conference? It’s a forum for the media community in Asia to refine craft and learn from each other. In the last two years, it has gathered more than 100 journalists and experts from all over Asia. Last year we looked at the Apple in China story, mobile journalism, global finance amid Beijing’s leadership change and branding and blogging. In 2011, we discussed the Great Firewall, Japan’s Fukushima crisis, backpack journalism and post J-life.
If you’d like to help us plan the regional event or if you have any questions, reach us at email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you.
November 16-18, 2012: AAJA Tokyo Weekend mini-conference
UPDATE: Check out tidbits from the AAJA Tokyo Weekend conference via live tweets from AAJA members and friends.
The “AAJA Tokyo Weekend” is November 16-18. It will combine a journalism workshop, panel discussion and excursion in Tokyo, all of which are free.
August 2012: UNITY ’12 in Las Vegas
AAJA is a partner in the UNITY ’12 Convention, which kicks off at The Mandalay Bay Resort & Convention Center in Las Vegas from Aug. 1-4. Read Liz Yuan’s recap of the convention, where social media and interactivity were the talk of the town.
The AAJA-Asia meet-up at UNITY:
And the Storify that sums it all up:
May 2012: AAJA-JMSC 2nd Media Conference in Hong Kong
Kristie LuStout, Anchor, CNN International
Dan Gillmor, Founding Director, Knight Center for Digital Media Entrepreneurship
Rob Schmitz, China Correspondent, Marketplace/American Public Media
Stephen Quinn, Digital Development Editor, South China Morning Post
Thomas Crampton, Asia-Pacific Social Media Director, Ogilvy & Mather
James She, Director of NIE Social Media Laboratory, Professor at Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
Tamora Leonard, Vice-President, APCO Worldwide
Susan Field, CEO and Founder, Impact Asia
Tyson Wheatley, Co-founder of Hong Kong Instayay; Senior Editor at CNN.com
Jay Oatway, former tech-journalist, author and social media consultant
Stephen Schwartz, Head Economist, BBVA
Joshua Rosenzweig, former Senior Manager, Dui Hua Foundation
The conference (June 22-24) covered topics including “Two Koreas” and “Internet Freedom.” Check out the highlights on the East-West Center’s conference website.
- Zaffar ABBAS, Editor-in-Chief, Dawn Newspaper, Pakistan
- Joshua BENTON, Director, Nieman Journalism Lab, Harvard University, USA
- Kurt M. CAMPBELL, Assistant U.S. Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific Affairs, USA
- CHEN Juhong, Editor in Chief, qq.com and Tencent, China
- Mike CHINOY, Senior Fellow, U.S.-China Institute, Former CNN Beijing Bureau Chief, USA
- Thomas CRAMPTON, Asia Pacific Director, 360 Digital Influence, Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide, Hong Kong SAR
- Steven GAN, Founder and Editor, Malaysiakini.com, Malaysia
- Dan GILLMOR, Director, Knight Center for Digital Media Entrepreneurship, Arizona State University, USA
- Jeff JARVIS, Author, “Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age Improves the Way We Work and Live,” and “What Would Google Do?”; Director, Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism, City University of New York, USA
- Almar LATOUR, Editor-in-Chief, The Wall Street Journal Asia, Hong Kong SAR
- Isaac Xianghui MAO, Director, Social Brain Foundation; Vice President, United Capital Investment Group, China
- Riyaad MINTY, Head of Social Media, Al Jazeera, Qatar
August 2011: AAJA annual convention, Detroit
Welcome to AAJA’s first convention in Michigan, the state in the shape of a hand. AAJA’s National President, Doris Truong, 2011 convention co-chairs Frank Witsil and Ankur Dholakia, along with their fellow Michigan chapter members are revved up to help bring journalists together to commemorate AAJA’s 30th year anniversary and lead the news industry. This year’s convention takes place at the COBO Conference/Exhibition Center with special events taking place at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.
Did you go? Take the post-conference survey.
June 2011: AAJA-Asia regional conference, Hong Kong
AAJA-Asia, in cooperation with The University of Hong Kong’s Journalism and Media Studies Centre, hosted its inaugural Asia regional conference on the campus of HKU June 10-11, 2011. If you missed it, you can see archived video and other reports here.